Criteria for selection
The selection of families who purchase homes from Habitat for Humanity is done by the Family Selection Committee using specific criteria in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, religion, national origin, family or marital status, or because all or part of income is derived from any public assistance program.
We have three selection criteria:
- Need for adequate shelter;
- Ability to pay; and
- Willingness to partner.
Need for adequate shelter
Habitat for Humanity Yukon seeks to assist families who have the goal of becoming independent homeowners. We select low-income partner families whose present housing is inadequate.
- Applicant must have children under age 18 living at home. *Multi-generational homes are encouraged to apply, but there must still be children under age 18 living at home.
- Families must have current housing that is substandard or does not meet their needs.
- Applicant must be unable to secure a traditional mortgage (i.e. a bank mortgage).
- Families must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada (all family members must be living in Canada).
- Families must be residents of Yukon for one year.
- Applicant must be first-time home buyers.
Ability to pay
Habitat for Humanity Yukon does not give away homes for free. Families must demonstrate their ability to pay a mortgage.
- The gross family income must be between $42,000 and $78,000 annually in order to carry the mortgage. *The income amount depends on family size, with larger families requiring a higher income amount.
- At least one adult employed full-time year round, or full-time employment equivalency.
- Applicants will be asked to submit a credit report that shows good credit history.
- Applicants must show balance between debt and income.
- If family has experienced bankruptcy, they must have been discharged for two years.
Willingness to partner
Habitat for Humanity Yukon needs to discern if applicants are willing to partner.
- Families agree to volunteer 500 hours at the build site or by selling raffle tickets.
- Families agree to keep the home and yard in good condition.
- Families agree to follow all Habitat for Humanity Yukon policies.
How to start the process
- Check back here frequently. We will post when an information session is being held.
- Attend an introductory information session.
- Receive application forms.
- Submit filled-out application forms.
- Await response in writing.